- Regensburger Dom St. Peter
- The World Heritage SiteBecause of the city´s unique status as “the only authentically preserved large medieval city in Germany” the Old Town Regensburg with Stadtamhof” was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site on July 13th, 2006. The Old Town of Regensburg is an excellent example of an inner-European medieval trading town whose historical stages of development are well-preserved. The development of the trade from the 11th up to the 14th century in particular is illustrated thereby extraordinarily well Regensburg is one of Germany’s oldest towns
A. Some history
- 179 A. D. The Roman fortress Castra Regina (fortress by the river Regen) is founded for the Third ltalic Legion during the reign of Emperor Marcus Aurelius.
- Regensburg becomes the seat of the Diet of the Holly Roman Empire or First German Reich
- The longest word in the German language: Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft.
- Regensburg, Ratisbon, Castra Regina the northern most point of the Danube is at the confluence of four rivers Laab, Naab, Regen, and Danube. This was the starting point of Christianization of the Czech people , and the diocese of Regensburg became the mother diocese of Prague
B. Famous residents
- Pope Benedict XVI, his brother Alois was the choir director and still lives in Regensburg
- Oskar Schindler Haus
- Albert the Great
- Carl Theodor von Dalberg
C. Things to do and see
- David and Goliath mural – don’t miss this one it’s your namesake
- Jakobkirche (St James or Scotts church) people come from all over the world to study this church
- When visiting Regensburg, going to the Alte Kapelle, which dates back to 875, is a must. While it has a modest exterior, this church has an ornate interior. Persons interesting in German history, art, religion, and architecture, will enjoy visiting this historic church. Used by Emperor Charlemagne
- Take a tour or walk around on your own and get lost-tours in English leave from the Stone Bridge at 1:30 in the summer
- Donauufer walk along the bank of the Danube river. actually a dark green not blue at all
- Steinererbruecke – Stone bridge used by crusaders
- Medieval patrician towers
- A historical interest is also attached to the Gasthof zum Golden en Kreuz (Golden Cross Inn), where Charles V made the acquaintance of Barbara Blomberg, the mother of Don Juan of Austria (born 1547).
- Art Forum East German Gallery Kunstforum Ostdeutsche Galerie
- The Kunstforum is an excellent museum of modern art. It is dedicated to leading artistic personalities who grew up or worked in the German-influenced cultural regions of what is now eastern Europe. The collection of the Kunstforum consists of approximately 2,000 paintings, 500 sculptures, and 30,000 graphic pictures. 15 thermally regulated rooms display paintings that range from Classic Modern to east European present-day art.
- Town hall
Tourist information office
- City History Museum mostly in German
- Stone depicting the founding of Regensburg by Marcus Aurelius, oldest city for which date of which is documented
Museum This is a world class museum with an excellent exhibition depicting the history of Regensburg. The Roman history of the city is particularly well portrayed. Have a look at the models of the city as well as a model of Stone Bridge. It is however a shame that the curators did not provide more descriptions in English .
- Schlosspark Thurn und Taxis
- Maximillian Hotel
- Hotel Bischofshof
- Porta Praetoria Roman Arch
- Top 10 sites according to Tourist information office
- Dom St.Peter-Cathedral
- Altes Rathaus-old town hall
- Historisches Museum-history of the city of Regensburg Museum
- Steinerne Brücke-old stone bridge used by crusaders
- Schloss Thurn und Taxis-castle
- Helenentor-Helens’s gate
- BMW Werk- Werksführung-BMW factory tour
- Segway Tours
- Arnulfsplatz Kneitinger Kniepe doppelbock seasonal dark beer. Service is slow but worth it
- 4.42/5 rDev n/a
- look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.
- Color is dark brown to amber-red with hints of orange in the light. Aroma is typical Pils/Münchner malt, very sweet with caramel forward, a slight citrusy/lemony aroma… a hint of hops in the nose, too. It’s 6.5%.
- In the initial drink you can taste the alcohol on the front of the tongue, a very slight burning sensation all over the tongue. It’s very caramel & malt forward in taste, slightly sour in the back with not a strong but noticeable bitterness from Noble hops – in the back and aftertaste only, though. The mouth feel is thick and süffig, inviting you to drink more. It comes across a little like a caramel and beer flavored brandy. On the sides of the tongue I get black or deeply roasted malt bitterness, too. Overall, very good, very süffig, like drinking a malt, caramel, alcohol induced candy. süffig=light and sweet
- Dampfnudel Uli this one is for Marian
- The dumplings are sweet and light, the crust is crispy all is served with light custard sauce, not sticky just a pleasure to eat. Uli himself has been making dumplings for a very long time and he still does it! The whole restaurant is worth to visit.
- Stella Eis cafe Regensburg Italian ice cream and crepes
- historische wuerst Kueche You’ve had Wiener, Frankfurter, and Hamburger so now try a Regensburger. Yes, it seems every town in Germany has its own sausage. There is even a Nurnburger. some people rave about this place if you like sausages oldest sausage kitchen in Germany. Worth a peak in the window even if you don’t eat anything.
- There are no set rules for tipping. In most cases a service charge is included in the price of meals in restaurants. Tipping can vary from place to place and, depending on the quality of service, can range from rounding up to the next euro to 10 percent of the total bill. Always tell the waiter or waitress how much you want to pay. If, say, the bill was €11.70, say “12 euros, please.” The practice of leaving money on the table is all but unknown. When it’s time to pay just say zahlen.bitte. They will never bring the check until you ask. If you want a receipt ask for ein Beleg, bitte.
E. Getting there
- One hour from Nurnberg two hours from Munich by train
- Donau-Isar-Express (DIEX)
- Note the Regensburg Hauptbahnhof (central station) is one of 85 DB Kategorie II stations all Kategorie I und II have facilities for luggage lockers and storage
- Walk out of the train station to Maximillian strasse. Head north. Leads directly to the old town on your left, about 15 minutes walking.
Something that I care about
If you know anything about me you know I went to high school in the 1970’s. So what’s it like to be stuck there?
- Oil Embargo
- Jimmy Carter
- Gas is 30 cents/ gal I noticed my keyboard doesn’t even have the cents sign anymore
- Nixon visits China
- The Brady Bunch-are you kidding?
- Peter Max
- Psychedelic art
- Bell Bottoms
Kallmunz was a village north of Regensburg on the Naab river a left bank tributary of the Danube, where Kandinsky lived a short time in 1904 during his formative period.
Napoleon was hospitalized at the Karthauspruell abbey after being wounded at Regensburg in 1809.
Kloster Pruefening west of Regensburg has the largest Roman cemetery in Germany.
Things about Germany that are German
- Max Beckmann
- Wasily Kandinsky-Bauhaus Desau
- German Expressionism
- Black Forest tort
- Beer and hundreds of kinds of sausages